Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pot Roast



This recipe is from Julia and Jacques cooking at home show that airs on PBS in my hometown. I have found I need to add more liquid to keep the roast tender and the cooking time will vary depending on the size of the roast. She added a large white turnip cut into pieces with the small onions and carrots but I omitted that because I don't like turnips. I have been attempting to make the perfect pot roast and this one has a delicious flavor and is one of my favorites thus far.

Ingredients:
1 bottom round roast
1-2 tbs Vegetable oil
1 white onion, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 tsp fresh thyme
5-6 tomatoes, chopped
1 ½ cup white wine (add enough wine and water to cover meat and keep meat covered by liquid at all times)
1 cup water
Salt and pepper
8-10 small whole onions
½ pnd small baby carrots
4 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed

Directions:
Cut fat off roast, salt and pepper entire roast. Heat vegetable oil in stock pot that is oven proof. Brown meat on all sides. Add white onion, thyme, tomatoes, white wine, water, and salt. Bring to boil. Cover and place in oven for 3-4 hours at 350 degrees.

Add small onions, carrots, potatoes and return to oven, cook covered in oven 1-1 ½ hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment